Spend your holidays with your public radio home, KIOS!
FRIDAY DECEMBER 18 @ 8:00 PM:
Jazz Night in America: A Holiday Celebration @ 8:00 PM
Jazz Night in America brings you holiday classics from their past five seasons – featuring fresh arrangements and entertaining storytelling recorded live from Rose Theater in New York City. You'll hear the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis, plus special guest vocalists Catherine Russell and Kenny Washington. Christian McBride hosts.
SUNDAY DECEMBER 20 @ 7:00 PM:
All Songs Considered for the Holidays: The Return to the Cabin
- Upgrade your holiday playlist on this special presentation of NPR's All Songs Considered with hosts Bob Boilen and Robin Hilton.
THURSDAY DECEMBER 24 @ 8:00 PM:
Jazz Piano Christmas
- Join us for a twist on your favorite holiday classics! The Kennedy Center and NPR present A Jazz Piano Christmas, the holiday tradition and annual sell-out, where pianists perform their favorite seasonal music. This year, the holiday tradition spotlights three of today's most prolific jazz pianists: REDWOOD, Cory Henry, and NEA Jazz Master Kenny Barron. Felix Contreras hosts.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 25th:
A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols @ 9:00 AM
- Pipedreams host Michael Barone presents this live service of spoken-word and music (choral and organ) broadcast from the chapel of King's College in Cambridge, England. The 30-voice King's College Choir performs the legendary Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols service of Biblical readings and music.
Christmas with the Morehouse & Spelman Glee Clubs @ 11:00 AM
- One of the great holiday traditions in America, the choirs of Morehouse and Spelman Colleges -- two of the most prestigious historically black institutions in the nation -- get together to present a spine-tingling concert program. This year's program features the best works of the last several years. It's a joyous celebration of the schools' tradition of singing excellence, with their trademark mixture of spirituals and carols. Korva Coleman hosts.
Juke in the Back R&B Christmas @ 12:00 Noon
- 2020 has been a tough year all around, so why not grab a glass of 'nog, sit back and relax and dig on some great vintage Rhythm & Blues Christmas tunes. This entire Juke In The Back is loaded with fantabulous Christmas records from the late 1940s and 1950s. It’s the yuletide soul that came before rock n’ roll. From the all-time classics by Clyde McPhatter & The Drifters and The Orioles to some rarer Christmas plattahs from Amos Milburn, JB Summers and The Five Keys. So get all lit up like a Christmas Tree and groove to the Cool Yule with Matt The Cat.
Jazz Night in America: In Memoriam @ 8:00 PM
- Christian McBride hosts this remembrance of the musicians we lost in 2020, honoring their legacies.
THURSDAY DECEMBER 31 @ 9:00 PM
NPR's Toast of the Nation
- An NPR tradition every New Year's Eve since the 1970s, Toast of the Nation is the perfect audio compliment for the occasion. It's festive jazz you can party to, all night long, even on lockdown. With an exciting line-up of artists all recorded during the pandemic, one with a small audience and three without, this music is a fitting way to ring in the new year. Hear sets from The Catherine Russell Trio recorded at Dizzy Club at Jazz At Lincoln Center in NYC (October 2020); The Jazz Gallery All-Stars, recorded at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC (October 2020); KOKOROKO, recorded at Royal Albert Hall in London (July 2020); Pink Martini, recorded in Portland, Oregon (November 2020.)