KIOS-FM

disaster aid

This Year's Derecho Storm Goes Down In History Books

Oct 19, 2020
Andrew Pritchard / Youtube

The August derecho is being called one of the worst storms ever.  The National Weather Service says the derecho was the worst thunderstorm disaster in U.S. history.  The Weather Service estimates the storm did seven-and-a-half-billion dollars worth of damage.  That's more damage than nine of the ten hurricanes to hit the U.S. this year.

Nebraska has created a new state disaster response team to help local governments that are overwhelmed with massive wildfires and other disasters. The incident management team includes the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency, the state fire marshal and the Nebraska state forester. The team is designed to help organize state resources that are already in place and allow for faster response times. Gov. Pete Ricketts says it will only respond if local governments request it. Western Nebraska saw a major wildfire in Banner County last month that burned more than 4,000 acres.

KHGI

There are now nearly 36-thousand COVID-19 cases in Nebraska.  Officials reported 89 new cases yesterday bringing the total in the state to 35-thousand-975.  COVID-19 has claimed 404 lives in Nebraska during the pandemic. Nebraska hospitals are asking for more federal aid to help recover financially from the coronavirus. The Omaha World-Herald reports that Nebraska Hospital Association officials say the pandemic has meant increased costs and a decline in revenue for hospitals.

Douglas County officials are providing residents with financial help.  The county board voted yesterday to set aside four-million-dollars in CARES Act money for utility assistance for residents who are behind in the bills because of the COVID-19 pandemic.  The vote comes as the Omaha Public Power District plans to mail disconnect notices starting today.

Dozens of new COVID-19 cases are reported in Nebraska.  State officials confirmed 92 cases yesterday, bringing the statewide total to 16-thousand-725.  There have been 216 COVID-19 deaths reported in Nebraska during the pandemic.  Nearly 58-hundred cases have been reported in Douglas County. Nebraska small businesses and livestock producers that took a hit from the coronavirus pandemic will get the chance to apply for financial assistance starting today.

Nebraska will use its $1.1 billion share of federal coronavirus money to help small businesses, local governments, nonprofits and other groups hard-hit by the pandemic. Gov. Pete Ricketts provided a first glimpse of the state’s plan, which focuses heavily on small businesses and unemployment insurance for laid-off workers. Nebraska will receive $1.25 billion under the federal CARES Act, the emergency law passed to help Americans with the pandemic.

https://www.facebook.com/NebraskaCattlemen/photos/a.171901667087/10156754078827088/?type=3&theater

The Nebraska Cattlemen is offering financial aid to cattle producers affected by the bomb cyclone storm that struck the state last month.

The group says applicants must have operations in counties or tribal areas falling under emergency or disaster declarations made by the Nebraska governor or the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency. Applicants must demonstrate genuine need and that their assets aren't adequate to rebuild from the damage suffered.