Hunger exists in every county in Nebraska and Iowa, and one in four Heartland children is food insecure. You can make this year a little brighter for those in need this holiday season!
Now in its 14th year, the campaign is a rallying call to support essential hunger relief efforts and provide meals for those in need – and this year, the need is even greater. More families than ever are experiencing financial hardship and food insecurity due to the impact of the Pandemic.
Sandra Hulm, Vice President of Procurement at ConAgra Brands took the time to chat with Mike Hogan “Live & Local” about the severity of the food insecurity problem right here in Nebraska and Western Iowa.
For example, The Food Bank has experienced a 70% increase in the number of individuals served over the average and distributed 28.1 million meals in its most recent fiscal year – the most in its history, and an increase of 5.5 million meals since the prior year. With the support of this very generous community, Conagra Brands has set an ambitious goal this year of raising the equivalent of 1.5 million meals to support the hunger relief efforts led by Food Bank for Heartland as part of the annual “Shine the Light on Hunger” campaign.
As part of the campaign, Conagra Brands Foundation will generously match all campaign funds up to $100,000. For more information on how you can help feed your neighbors, go to http://www.holidaylightsfestival.org/shine-the-light-on-hunger/
WAYS YOU CAN SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN
The community is invited to make donations of nonperishable foods and/or funds. Through your support, you can help ensure the families in your community have access to healthy and nutritious food this holiday season.
MOST-NEEDED FOOD ITEMS ARE:
• Protein, such as peanut butter, beans, and canned tuna and chicken
• Macaroni and Cheese
• Pasta and Sauce
• Pancake Mix
• Canned Fruits and Vegetables
• Boxed Meals and Kid-Friendly Cans with Pull-Top Lids
• Text “FOOD” to 74121 to give monetary donations.
• In a unique partnership with Park Omaha, it is easy to donate spare change. There will be white parking meters on the sidewalks scattered around town from November 12 through December 31. If you spot one of these white meters, please consider feeding the meter to help feed the community. The meters accept Credit Card, Coin, and Park Omaha App payments. The locations of these meters are below:
o The Black Stone District (along Farnam)
The Switch Beer & Food Hall (36th & Farnam)
15th & Douglas
Holland Performing Arts Center
o Old Market
11th & Jackson
o Midtown Crossing
Midtown Crossing Circle (West of center stairs)
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
" class="wysiwyg-break drupal-content" src="/sites/all/modules/contrib/wysiwyg/plugins/break/images/spacer.gif" title="<--break-->">